Monday, August 23, 2010

Cook's Illustrated Multigrain Bread


This is a great recipe but I never added it to my posted recipes since I added it to the Struan thread at the old BC.
Multigrain Bread

From Cook's Illustrated; makes 2 loaves




6 1/4 oz 7-grain hot cereal mix (like Bob's Red Mill or Arrowhead Mills)(1 1/4 cups)

20 oz (2 1/2 c) boiling water

15 oz (3 c) flour

7 1/2 oz (1 1/2 c) whole wheat flour

4 tbsp honey

4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly

2 1/2 tsp instant yeast

1 tbsp table salt

3/4 c unsalted pumpkin or sunflower seeds

1/2 c old-fashioned rolled oats or quick oats

1. Place cereal mix in bowl of mixer and pour boiling water over it; let stand, stirring occasionally, until mixture cools to 100 degrees and resembles thick porridge, about 1 hour. Whisk flours in medium bowl.

2. Once grain mixture has cooled, add honey, melted butter, and yeast and stir to combine. Attach bowl to standing mixer fitted with dough hook. With mixer running on low speed, add flours, 1/2 c at a time, and knead until dough forms ball, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes; cover bowl with plastic and let dough rest 20 minutes. Add salt and knead on medium-low speed until dough clears sides of bowl, 3 to 4 minutes (add 2-3 tbsp flour if needed). Continue to knead dough for 5 more minutes. Add seeds and knead for another 15 seconds. Transfer dough to floured work surface and knead by hand until seeds are dispersed evenly and dough forms smooth, taut ball. Place dough into greased container with 4-qt capacity; cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise until doubled, 45 to 60 minutes.

3. Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 375 degrees. Spray two 9×5 loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray. Transfer dough to lightly floured work surface and pat into 12×9 inch rectangle; cut dough in half crosswise. Shape loaves and coat with oats; cover lightly with plastic wrap and let rise until almost doubled in size, 30 to 40 minutes. Bake until internal temperature registers 200 degrees, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove loaves from pans and cool on wire rack before slicing, about 3 hours.

4. Leftover bread can be wrapped in a double layer of plastic wrap and stored at room temperature for 3 days; wrap with an additional layer of aluminum foil and the bread can be frozen for up to one month.

15 comments:

REAGAN said...

This bread looks so good. I have this recipe, but just haven't made it yet. So, I'm glad you did.

BeachDee said...

I finally remembered how to sign on here...Golly this recipe looks/sounds fantastic! I'll be sure to save it for when I finally have time to bake (which won't be within this next month, but SOME day...). Thanks for sharing it. Your loaves are beautiful.

buttercup said...

This is a great bread, but I can never find the 7 grain hot cereal mix. I use cold grain cereal, I have used up to 10 grains and it always seems to come out fine. I'll keep searching for the hot mix.

dachshundlady said...

I have a couple loaves rising now. I do change the recipe a little (Don't we ALWAYS do that?)
I use 6 rather than 4 Table of butter. I also use 4T raisin slurry and 4T dark brown sugar instead of 4T honey. We like it sweeter and "darker" tasting. It sure is an impressive loaf to give to friends. So pretty yet healthy; you will WOW them!

Kathy said...

butercup I can never find the 7 grain cereal either. I have tried the larger towns south of me maybe I am going to have to break down and go north. Sometimes living in rural america has its disadvantages, sometimes not.

Beautiful loaves of bread DLady!!

dachshundlady said...

I made the best club sandwiches with this bread. First I made a garlicky, spicy white bean puree to stick it all together, then using 3 slices of litely toasted bread I added lettuce, tomato, red onion, avocado, chicken, bacon and alfalfa sprouts. The recipe was in an old Oprah magazine the library was giving away. Wow, was it goooood!

buttercup said...

DL, I knew I had made this bread, several times but I couldn't remember where I got the recipe. I do have the Cooks Illustrated book, but I know I never got it from there. Anyway I went and looked through my recipes and found my copy. It's from Bob's Red Mill site. He said it was sent to him from a long-time customer who had seen it featured in Cooks Illustrated. But in this version of the recipe it only states 7-grain cereal, not hot cereal. Now I have to see if there is a taste difference. I'm going to use your modifications....and try that sandwich.

naughtysquirrel said...

I made this today and it was a total flop...I was so excited to make it and then..disappointment..it only rose to the top f the pan ...oh well..we'll find something to do with it....NS

Jozy said...

what is 4 T raisin slurry? raisins soaked in water and adding the water also? thanks

dachshundlady said...

NS, I am sorry the bread flopped. I have made it many times and never had a problem. And I'm sure your yeast is OK if you are baking all the time. And Jozy, I take 1/2 cup raisins and pour 2/3 cup boiling water over them. I let them cool, grind them up in my Magic Bullet or my hand held mixer. Then I leave them in a jar in the fridge. When I make wholegrain breads, I use about 4T per loaf plus 4 T dark brown sugar. If I made wholegrains more often, I would make up a bigger batch of slurry to leave in the fridge. Some people call it a mash.

DDoug said...

What do you think about using the KA Harvest Grains mixture as a substitute? The bread sounds wonderful. Deanna

dachshundlady said...

I'm not sure what it is but I bet it is more expensive that the 7 grain hot cereal mix.

DDoug said...

0hi, d'lady, the thing is, I have half a bag of the KA Harvest Grains mix and would like to use it up! So that is why I asked. Deanna

LSB said...

such pretty bread. I have to move off the picture whenever Dan passes by, or else he'd ask for it! Right now I don't have time energy to bake it!

dachshundlady said...

It sure would be good for a BLT though. A nice backdrop to all your lovely tomatoes.